The primary mission of the Garden City Police Departments Volunteers in Policing program is to reduce crime, improve the quality of life through the development of community awareness and to form a partnership between the community and the Police Department
Law enforcement has an important role in controlling, reducing and preventing crime. The Garden City Police Department is a viable expression of the communitys desire for law and order. However, if inroads are to be made into the crime problem, law enforcement must join together with the community in a participatory effort directed towards crime reduction. The Volunteers in Policing Program allows members of the community the opportunity for challenging and rewarding service with the Garden City Police Department.
The VIP Program establishes unity and interaction between the public and Police Department, and greatly enhances our ability to provide quality services to this community. We will attempt to match your talents and interests to available positions.
All training will be provided by the Garden City Police Department.
The Volunteers in Policing (VIP) Program complements the Departments sworn staff and frees police officers to perform law enforcement duties.
- Codes Enforcement
- Walk-in Reports
- Answer Telephones
- Data Entry
- Animal Control
- Vacation House Watch Program
- Reserve Police Officer (Missouri POST licensed applicants only)
- Police Chaplain
- Bicycle Registration Program
- Be at least 18 years of age.
(Reserve Police Officer applicants must be POST licensed and at least 21 years of age).
- Possess a valid Missouri Drivers License. Applicants must also have an maintain a satisfactory driving record
- Have no felony convictions
- Have no misdemeanor convictions with in the past five years of filing application.
- Possess competent written/verbal English skills
- Successfully pass back ground check
- Be able to perform 4 hours of service a week
If you would like more informaitoin about the Volunteers In Policing Program, please contact Chief Alber